From Bill Calvani, Rebecca’s Grocery Manager.
any of us supplement our diets with superfoods. The most nutrient dense superfood of all is not an exotic fruit, nut or berry from a faraway tropical place. It is at once common and often overlooked and, frankly, a downright rejected food.
It is liver.
Liver was considered a sacred food, a source of empowering strength and a provider of miraculous curative powers. It was the first food sought after, and consumed by, the successful hunter in various cultures and among various species. It was commonly a once-a-week food in hardier days.
Although I like chicken liver paté, and Foie Gras for the holidays, any other liver recipes I have tried have been a little sophisticated for my taste, as is the popular US Wellness Liverwurst, enjoyed by many.
In my search to regularly introduce liver into my diet, I found two easy, palatable ways to consume it. One is to cut it into, pea sized portions and then freeze. The other is in the form of desiccated liver capsules.
Currently I am habitually consuming Polyface Farms Beef liver and Ultra Enterprises Raw Liver Concentrate. Although it is a myth that the liver accumulates toxins, since it’s role is to expel toxins, I look for true grass fed, grass finished, no antibiotics, and no hormones beef sources.
- An excellent source of high-quality and highly bioavailable protein
- Nature’s most concentrated source of vitamin A
- All the B vitamins in abundance, particularly vitamin B12, several times the recommended daily intake
- One of our best sources of folic acid
- A highly usable form of iron
- Trace elements such as copper, zinc and chromium; liver is our best source of copper
- CoQ10, a nutrient that is especially important for cardio-vascular function
- A good source of purines, nitrogen-containing compounds that serve as precursors for DNA and RNA.
- Potentially, An unidentified anti-fatigue factor
Domestically raised and inexpensive, liver is an incredible bang for your buck.
Find locally sourced liver in our freezer section. Questions about supplements? Ask our knowledgeable staff.