The Power of Golden Milk, an Ayurvedic Drink with Anti-Inflammatory Properties
turmeric. Golden milk owes its name and color to said turmeric (careful, that beautiful color also stains easily!), and may include other adaptogens such as Ashwagandha and warming spices like cardamom and vanilla. It’s the perfect tasty, comforting beverage, soothing for the body and mind. Enjoy it warm during these cold-weather months! You can also prepare it creatively via several golden milk recipes, more on that below.e’re big fans of golden milk, a comforting blend based on centuries of use in the Ayurvedic tradition, that features one of our all-time favorite spices and medicinal herbs,
Our premixed, vegan, gluten-free Golden Milk/Tea blends from Gaia, Jarrow, or Garden of Life make it easy to make golden “milk” by providing the perfect mix of herbs which you can mix with milk or water. You can blend this into a comforting latte-like beverage that is a treat to drink. This warming drink decreases inflammation, and, if mixed with ashwagandha, also helps you relax and wind down. We love golden milk drinks as an afternoon alternative to coffee or a mindful beverage to help you wind down in the evening.
You can use the powder in a number of “milks” and recipes.
Golden milk blends are delicious in warm milk, tea, coffee, and even some baked goods and oatmeal. Get creative with it! It’s easy to blend with warm milk (dairy or non-dairy options both work!). You can get the calming, anti-inflammatory benefits in many forms.
Three recipes to try featuring golden milk:
Below are three simple golden milk recipes you can try at home. We carry the raw ingredients to make them all. Enjoy!
Golden milk cookies:
We love this recipe, via Gaia Herbs, for a healthy-ish sweet treat.
Total time: 45 minutes
Makes: approximately 18 cookies
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cultured organic unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons organic dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- 1 free range organic local egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour or organic whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2-3 tablespoons Gaia Herbs Golden Milk
- Dice cold butter into medium cubes and separate the egg yolk. Set both aside and let them come to room temperature.
- Once tempered, beat the butter, sugars, and salt for several minutes on medium speed in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg yolk, beat until smooth. Add Golden Milk, beat until smooth. Reduce the speed and add the flour half a cup at a time. Stop the mixer as soon as the dough is just mixed. Finish mixing by hand to bring it together.
- Using a cookie baller, scoop the cookies on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper into the desired size and place it into the refrigerator to set for at least 15 minutes. While the cookies are setting, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for approximately 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan.
- Enjoy plain or dust with an equal-parts-mix of confectioners’ sugar and Gaia’s Golden Milk.
Golden milk tea:
Via Jarrow, this is a simple way to make a super healthy tea using golden tea powder. It’s an excellent alternative to the dairy or non-dairy milk-based recipes for those who want something lighter but potent.
How to make it:
Mix 1 heaping scoop of golden milk (13.5 g) with 4 to 6 oz. of hot water, warm milk, or warm almond milk and drink.
Golden Milk Protein MCT latte:
Get your golden milk, brain-powering MCT, and protein in one delicious serving via this recipe from Garden of Life.
Use organic ingredients:
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon Garden of Life mykind Organics Golden Milk powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garden of Life Dr. Formulated MCT Oil
- 1 scoop Garden of Life Sport Plant-Based or Raw Organic Protein Powder – Vanilla
- 3-4 pitted Medjool dates (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1 Tablespoon almond butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Place almond milk and pitted dates into a pot and heat until it begins to simmer.
- Pour hot almond milk/dates and all other ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Serve right away!
Optionally, garnish with an extra dash or two of cinnamon or a cinnamon stick.
We hope you’re inspired by these recipes to try golden milk! If you’re interested in reading more about the magic of turmeric, check out this blog post.