Rebecca’s Natural Food Team Highlight: 30 Years With Susan Dunlap
ur Rebecca’s Natural Food team prides itself on the unique experience of having multiple staff members work here for 5, 15, 20 and even 30 years. This is truly remarkable in a society where retail is known for high turnover and in general, many people change jobs frequently. In addition, we like to keep our workforce dynamic with a staff of all ages (currently 16-78). We also believe in researching the products we carry, keeping up with the latest health trends, imbuing care into our interactions with our customers, and working to foster community relationships that are authentic and aligned with our mission. It follows that when a member of our small team has their 30th anniversary with us, we celebrate! This month, we’re celebrating 30 years of Susan Dunlap working as our Nutrition Information Specialist. Susan is an invaluable member of our team and without her, Rebecca’s would simply not be what it is today. Her 30 years of expertise and patient, helpful customer care speak to our relationship with the community and to what we’ve built with our customers, many of whom rely on our team!
If you have a question about a supplement, herb, homeopathic or a particular nutritional need, Susan is one of our go-to staff members. She works at Rebecca’s full-time Tuesday-Saturday and also offers intensive personal appointments on her off days for a fee. She lives what she teaches, and it shows! If you know Susan, you, like us, may find it hard to believe her age. One of Susan’s many claims to fame is her youthful appearance. Many guess that she’s in her 40s when she’s actually 65. We’ll let you in on her secret: a clean diet since the 1970s, the inclusion of natural supplements, herbs and homeopathic tools, excellent genes, and using Anne Marie Borlind face care products for 30 years.
To celebrate Susan’s 30 amazing years, we’re featuring her top 10 favorite supplements and body care items on sale this month. Susan’s picks are on sale throughout the month, read on for more details!*
Live your most vibrant, healthy life with Susan’s top wellness, skincare, and supplement choices!
Susan’s facial care picks:
Anne Marie Borlind ~ Susan’s beauty secret includes a face care regimen from Anne Marie Borlind. This innovative, natural cosmetics line has confirmed efficacy. Anne Marie Borlind was founded in 1959 and the products are made with unique natural raw materials that are sustainably wild-harvested or grown organically, are backed by extensive scientific research and highly developed technology. Uniquely, all Borlind skincare products are made with only the pristine, soft spring water taken from a deep well on their Black Forest German property. This thermal water is free of chlorine, pesticide and herbicide residue and other chemicals found in regular tap water.
Be like Susan and hop on a Borlind skincare regimen. She uses the following: Borlind LL Cleanser, LL Blossom Dew Gel Toner, System Absolute Day Cream & LL Night Cream.
Borlind products are all 20% off throughout September 2019.
Susan’s favorite body care items:
- Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum ~ More magic for your skin! This antioxidant-rich serum offers excellent anti-aging benefits and improves the overall brightness and appearance of your skin. Susan is not the only fan, our customers rave about this product tightening and brightening their face and decollete. 30% off thru September!
- Surya Henna Cream (ask Susan for her tried and true protocol to cover gray with henna instead of chemical-ridden hair dye) ~ An excellent alternative to chemical-laden hair products. Enhance the shine and natural highlights in your hair or cover your greys (should you desire to) with this henna cream! 30% off all colors this month!
- Shikai Henna Gold Highlighting Shampoo & Conditioner (safe for color-treated hair) ~ These are a wonderful natural alternative to drugstore shampoos and conditioners and really add shine and suppleness to your hair. 30% off both all September…
Supplements and body care that Susan can’t live without:
- Garden of Life Primal Defense ~ A potent probiotic with homeostatic soil organisms that’s been helpful to keep your immune system and gut functioning at their best. The HSOs in Primal Defense are helpful probiotics we should get in abundance if our food still came from soil untouched by pesticides, herbicides and other widely-used chemicals. The key probiotics in Primal Defense thrive in the toughest digestive environments and are undeterred by stomach and bile acids for the best absorption and benefit. The original 90s are 30% off all September!
- Terry Naturally Curamin ~ We’ve written before about the benefits of curcumin (the active element in turmeric) and Curamin also includes boswellia (Indian Frankincense), DLPA & Nattokinase. Susan and many of our customers swear by this brand for safe, effective, pain relief. The Curamin Original 120 caps are 30% off in September and the rest of the Curamin & Curamed (just curcumin) products are 15% off.
- Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega 2X ~ Get your Omegas in with Susan’s favorite brand, Nordic Naturals. We consider Nordic to be the gold standard in fish oil supplements. All Nordic Naturals’ fish oil products are the non-altered form naturally found in fish, and thus easily absorbed. Their products are non-GMO and third-party tested and surpass the strictest international standards for purity and freshness. Certificates of Analysis are available for any product that Nordic makes. Nordic Naturals fish oils are Friend of the Sea (FOS) certified and sustainably made in a zero-waste facility powered by biofuel proving that they care about the environment. The Ultimate Omega 120s are 30% off in September.
- Kare-n-Herbs Kold Kare Andrographis ~ This is made from an exclusive extract of Andrographis paniculata, to help with seasonal wellness. The herbs in Kold Kare® have been used since ancient times in China, India and North America and continue to help immunity today… Susan recommends these for immune support and takes hers daily especially during this time of year. 30% off this month!
- Boiron Arnica Gel ~ One of, if not the best, arnica topicals on the market! An excellent all-natural pain reliever for injuries, normal aches and pains, bruising, arthritis, and more! All Boiron Arnica gels are 30% off in September. Susan and many of our staff have this with their 1rst aid supplies.
- Country Life Target Mins Magnesium ~ Relaxation is a key to longevity, magnesium helps! Magnesium also helps reduce muscle cramping and aids with regularity. Susan’s fave Magnesium 300mg 120 caps are 30% off this month.
Susan’s favorite Rebecca’s brand products
- Rebecca’s French Lavender Essential Oil for aromatherapy. The 4oz is 15% off this month for all your lavender needs. Add it to a diffuser to relax and cleanse your room or add to a carrier oil or lotion for a hand-made relaxing body care treat!
- Rebecca’s Elderberry Plus Umcka capsules for seasonal support. This great combination for using at the onset of illness is one of Susan’s immune go-tos. 15% off in September.
- Rebecca’s Pycnogenol antioxidant capsules are a great everyday support against the ravages of time and the toxins in our environment. This daily supplement of Susan’s is 15% off this month.
A sampling of some of Susan’s favorite grocery items:
- Hudson Henry Granola-local to the area these yummy granolas include oats, nuts and seeds and are mixed, baked and packaged with care. The founders created a charity that they contribute to monthly and you can learn more about their small + mighty program and some of the charities that benefited from your granola purchases.
- Local Polyface Sausage. If you are from the area, you’ve most likely heard of local Polyface Farm, around since 196, and how it represents one of America’s premier environmentally-friendly, non-industrial food production farms. If you’d like to tour it, check out this link http://www.polyfacefarms.com/farm-tours/
- Bragg’s Vinaigrette is non-GMO, gluten-free and deliciously made with simple ingredients!
- Chosen Food Avocado Mayo is Non-GMO. Avocado oil is better for you than the oils used in most mayos plus it tastes amazing! The ingredients in this culinary gem are 100% pure avocado oil, cage-free eggs, a dash of organic vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Yum!
- Chocolove Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups. What more can we say? In Susan’s and our opinion, these are the yummiest chocolate peanut butter cups out there! Warning: they are addictive!
Live well with Susan’s picks. Should you try any of these, she’d love to hear your feedback! Let us know in the comments below.
*Susan’s top picks are 30% off during the month of September 2019, EXCEPT Borlind face care products, which are 20% off, and Rebecca’s brand products, which are 15% off. No grocery picks are on sale.