Hemp and CBD Oil 101

For many, their first introduction to Hemp and CBD Oil requires an explanation that no, CBD won’t make you “stoned.” Although these wonder products are not psychoactive, this doesn’t mean they aren’t incredibly efficacious. With benefits ranging from treating anxiety, pain, and fibromyalgia to insomnia and epilepsy, it’s easy to see why this natural oil has become buzzy as it’s taken the health and wellness market by storm in the past year. Rebecca’s Natural Food brought this natural, plant derived supplement to Charlottesville 4 years ago after meticulously researching and testing many different brands. It’s easy to use and it works. Needless to say, we’re big fans.

What is commonly referred to as Hemp oil or CBD oil, often interchangeably and occasionally incorrectly, actually comes in three primary forms: Hemp Oil, Hemp Seed Oil, and CBD oil. When you see these on labels, what you’re essentially seeing is where the oil was derived from. Hemp seed oil comes from the seeds of the plant, while CBD oil can be made from Cannabis sativa or hemp, and is made from the whole plant, including the flowering portion. In states where cannabis is illegal, CBD oil must be made from hemp. From here going forward we’ll use CBD oil to refer to both, for brevity’s sake.

Why so many are benefiting from using it:

Studies have shown that CBD oil can help with wide-ranging, often tricky to treat conditions. These include (but aren’t limited to) stress and anxiety, sleep, epilepsy, overall mood, inflammation, energy levels, metabolism, appetite, pain response, immune function, nerve signaling, muscle control, sexual health, and memory.For sore muscles, we love all of our topical options. Depending on your preference of cream, salve or oil you might choose Nature’s Root Hemp Sore Muscle Oil or salve sticks, Ananda CBD salve with Boswellia, Charlotte’s Web CBD cream, or Plus CBD’s topical salves. If you’re looking for help with anxiety and sleep, Ananda Full Spectrum Hemp CBD tincture, Charlotte’s Web (Unflavored or Mint Chocolate) CBD, and Plus CBD’s liquids or softgels are a great option

Especially in light of our country’s dependence on prescription drugs and more alarmingly, the opioid crisis, CBD oil has emerged as a safe, non-addictive alternative to pain meds.

How does it work?

All humans have a complex and advanced physiological system known as ECS or Endocannabinoid System. Cannabinoids are molecules that the body creates that fill the receptors in this system. The ECS is constantly striving to achieve cellular balance throughout our biology through signaling and communication. Many factors in life compromise our ability to function optimally and healthily. Research indicates that the CBD’s contained in specific strains of Agricultural Hemp can be a necessary and potent supplement to regulating our internal system. We have cannabinoid receptors for a reason! CBD oil is one of nature’s gifts.

CBD can be used both as a topical and ingested, depending on what you’re using it for. Our highly trained staff is always here to talk with you about your specific ailments and which products you should try for optimal treatment and wellbeing!

At Rebecca’s Natural Food, our meticulous research ensures that we only carry products with the highest Quality assurance. That includes third-party testing, and non-GMO status. As always, our mission is to provide food and supplements that enhance cognitive and physical performance according to science-based and traditional perspectives. CBD is a safe, cutting-edge tool in this pursuit of health.

Come see us today to try it for yourself!

2019-06-03T08:42:01-04:00

About the Author:

Your friends at Rebecca's
For over 32 years, we’ve been a strong supporter of our community, our vendors, our team, our customers, and our planet. Our blog posts reflect our commitment to keeping our community informed about our products and passions. Feel free to ask questions and make comments on our posts!

15 Comments

1. Avatar
    Stephanie Butcher October 30, 2018 at 12:50 pm - Reply

How would I infuse full or broad spectrum CBD in a bone broth recipe?

Your Friends at Rebecca's February 7, 2019 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Infusion is unnecessary. You can easily administer a dose of CBD into a dose of bone broth to enjoy the benefits of both!

2. Avatar
    Karen December 16, 2018 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Do you ship? I live in Texas

Your Friends at Rebecca's February 7, 2019 at 3:15 pm - Reply

Hi Karen,
      Sorry for the delay in answering your question–it didn’t show up on our end for a while. Yes, we do ship anywhere in the US at this time. Thanks for asking and please call us at 434-977-1965 and ask for the Supplement Department to place an order.

3. Avatar
    Scott Edgar March 13, 2019 at 4:57 am - Reply

Hi – I recently moved to the Barracks Rd area and really like CBD Oil to help me with my chronic pain. How much does it cost at your store? If you offer a variety of sizes or types it would be great if you could let me know how much for each. Thanks!

Your Friends at Rebecca's March 27, 2019 at 11:57 am - Reply

Hi Scott,
      We currently offer 15 brands of CBD and prices range from $22.95-$240.00 for internal liquid CBD (1 mg- 53 mg offerings in a variety of sizes). We also have teas, gummies, capsules, honeys and topical remedies. We offer trial sizes of internal CBD starting at $2.00. All prices are verified as on 3/28/19. We will have quite a few brands on sale for our April Anniversary Sale the whole month of April. The best option is to come in and see our selection or call and ask for the Supplement Dept. Thanks for your interest and we’re sorry to hear you have chronic pain!

4. Avatar
    Courtina March 26, 2019 at 12:26 pm - Reply

Hi am looking to purchase your CBD oil. I was recommended to you by a couple of people whom speak highly of you all. I have arthritis in my knee, ankle and arm. Also I have trouble sleeping well. DO you think this would work for me? If so should I get the liquid and the cream or what? How much do they cost?

5. Avatar
    Your Friends at Rebecca's March 27, 2019 at 12:02 pm - Reply

Hi Courtina,
    We have carried CBD products since 2014 and have received lots of positive feedback on it for help with arthritis pain and sleep. Since you are addressing both pain and sleep you may prefer to start with an internal liquid and possibly add on a topical at a later time. We currently offer 15 brands of CBD and prices range from $22.95-$240.00 for internal liquid CBD (1 mg- 53 mg offerings in a variety of sizes). We also have teas, gummies, capsules, honeys and topical remedies. We offer trial sizes of internal CBD starting at $2.00. All prices are verified as on 3/28/19. We will have quite a few brands on sale for our April Anniversary Sale the whole month of April. The best option is to come in and see our selection or call and ask for the Supplement Dept. Thanks for your interest and we’re sorry to hear you are having physical discomfort and trouble sleeping!

6. Avatar
    Melvin A. Allen May 30, 2019 at 1:08 am - Reply

It was a really helpful article. The only thing I am looking forward is how to take CBD and what should be the dosage.

Your Friends At Rebecca's June 27, 2019 at 11:16 am - Reply

Hi Melvin,
      Thanks for your excellent question. Unfortunately there is no right dose because everyone’s endocannabinoid system is unique and responds differently. We carry CBD from 1-100mg. For general wellbeing, we recommend starting between 1-10 mg. For acute or chronic issues starting between 5-25mg is a good idea. There is some experimentation with serving size and times taken throughout the day. We generally suggest starting with a liquid CBD that you can titrate up or down as needed and starting with CBD in the evening to see if it makes you sleepy or not.We can help you further if you come into the store. Thanks for reaching out!

7. Avatar
    Jim Dunham June 1, 2019 at 4:06 am - Reply

This is a wonderful, informative post! I have often been questioned about whether hemp products I use such as hemp seed oil and hemp milk are safe and how they relate to the marijuana plant. I never knew the answer to these questions except to say that they are a different part of the plant that doesn’t contain THC. Now I truly understand the difference! Thank you

8. Avatar
    Cynthia Richard June 20, 2019 at 6:49 am - Reply

Do you have a CBD oil that I can give to my black lab with hip problems?

Your Friends At Rebecca's June 27, 2019 at 11:03 am - Reply

Hi Cynthia,
      Thanks for your inquiry! We have CBD liquids and treats especially for dogs. The products have recommended serving sizes based on your dog’s weight. Several of our staff use CBD for their dogs and we have had a lot of positive feedback from customers on how CBD has helped their dog’s pain and discomfort. Please come in or call for one-on-one help with our CBD.

9. Avatar
    Angela scheraldi June 27, 2019 at 6:46 pm - Reply

I am here for a few weeks visiting my son who lives in Ruckersville. I have been on cbd oil for the last 6 months, various strengths. I call the cbd oil my miracle drug. I take it in the morning and before bedtime. I still have severe pain in my feet (neuropathy and arthritis). I will be in the shop tomorrow and introduce myself. I am very anxious to meet you.
    Angel’s Scheraldi

Your friends at Rebecca's July 1, 2019 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Angela,
      So glad you have had great relief with CBD oil for your neuropathy. and arthritis. We look forward to meeting you.